Friday, January 20, 2012

{.three short weeks.}

Three weeks ago I was sitting at home doing...well...not much of anything. The holidays were finally over and I had absolutely no plans for the remainder of winter break. I was unexpectedly offered a temporary job at a daycare until I went back to school. It wasn't much, but it was a job! I worked in the preschool room with three and four year olds. I love working with kids, but after these past three weeks I am now confident that I made the right choice in switching my major from Elementary Ed. to Counseling. Trying to control a classroom full of kids every day is hard work! Being a nanny is one thing...I will always love doing that...but having a classroom to yourself is a whole different story and just not the job for me. Teaching and playing with kids is fun and something I enjoy...but after experiencing some different situations at the daycare, I am even more sure that I want to be a social worker who deals with children and families. One little girl at daycare would wake up crying at least twice every day during her nap and when she would get up she followed me everywhere...almost as if she were scared of being alone. A little boy clung to my legs and cried as soon as he saw his dad come in the room to pick him up. It's those small things that make me wonder what the deeper issues are. As much as I love playing with the kids, I would much rather be trying to help them at a more personal level. Work with them and their families to give them the best they deserve!


I'm so thankful I was able to have this job for the time I was there! It was a little out of my comfort zone at first. It was run by nuns at the monastery...and I'm not even Catholic. haha I felt a little better once I realized not everyone there was Catholic and not all the teachers were nuns! I was only called "Sister" one time in the three weeks I was there...but the innocent girl corrected herself right away when she remembered I was NOT a nun. lol The sisters were super nice and I'm glad I got to know them. Today when I walked in the kids gave me a collage of pictures and gave me lots of hugs. One little girl who had never even been there before was shouting how much she loved me. If you ever need to feel loved, walk into a room of preschoolers...they will do the trick...for a little while at least. (Three year olds tend to be brutally honest! haha) I will miss those kids! It's always hard to say bye after getting attached. But now I'm on to another semester of school. It makes me feel better when I remember I get a break from diapers, spilled milk, kids who don't want to sleep, and shooting lasers for a few months! =P


Hope you all had a great day! God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment