Tuesday, September 6, 2011

to be selfless.

I have about a million note cards up on my wall with different verses and quotes, and this afternoon one in particular got me thinking.

"Love demands that I learn how to focus my attention on the needs of those I love." -John Powell

Right away I thought it over and all I could come up with was pretty much exactly what it said...basically loving my friends and family means I not only need to say that I love them, but I actually need to focus on their needs. Easy enough, right? But then I thought about it again and it hit me. I need to focus on THEIR needs...more than I focus on MY OWN. I realized I really need to learn what selfless love means. So being the geek I am, I looked it up. =P

self-less [self-lis]
adjective
having little or no concern for oneself, especially with regard to fame, position, money, etc.; unselfish

love [luhv]
noun
unselfish loyal and benevolent concern for the good of another

I can't count the times I have been selfish in my friendships and relationships. I wish I could go back and change all the times I didn't care for others enough to put their needs in front of my own. It's so easy to see what I'm not getting out of a friendship or relationship (whether with a friend or with a family member) and get upset...because sometimes I forget the world doesn't revolve around me. I don't always think I'm doing anything wrong, but when I look back I realize just how selfish I was being.

I want to love by Christ's example. Of course He wants us to love Him in return, but the point is, He loves us no matter what. No matter how many times we hurt Him, no matter how many mistakes we make...He gives us more than we could ever ask for and cares for us day in and day out, whether He's getting anything out of it or not.

Can I love like that? Can I put my needs aside and care for others in whichever way is best for THEM? That's what I want. I don't want my selfishness to ruin the relationships God blesses me with. I can't promise I will succeed, but that's my goal.

TO BE SELFLESS.

"Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. Be devoted to one another in love. Honor one another above yourselves." -Romans 12:9-10





No comments:

Post a Comment